Today was our first day back in Kisenyi. We met up with Martin and headed straight for the Community Hall where all the kids were already gathered for a weekly medical outreach. Kampala has had a pretty serious typhoid outbreak, so that's a major situation going through the slum.
Last time I was here there was a boy named Hamsa that I ended up spending quite a bit of time with. He had been hit by a boda boda and his shin bone was broken straight through. It heeled backwards protruding out of his skin. We had him on weekly antibiotic shots and the doctor was cleaning out the wound daily. I saw him today and it seems the infection has gotten completely out of control and they will have to remove the bottom half of his leg. Lots of prayers his way for sure.
I found my sweet John Joshua as soon as we turned the corner into the slum, and well, I cried like a goon of course. I have thought about that kid every single day since I left. My heart is so full of love for him it's crazy. He has also been down and out with malaria and typhoid, so his health is not great but he is scrappy and funny and beautiful as ever.
They didn't have the funds to provide food for the boys so we of course said we would happily take care of it. I was able to get it from the same mama that I used to every week, which made me really happy. We fed over 70 kids today...and committed to continuing providing for the medical and food every Monday.
Martin and I will also be teaming up on Saturdays again to run the same program but also have a good game of football and some education rolled in...Isabella is a pretty incredible artist so she will be giving the boys some art lessons as well.
If you are interested in getting involved you can contact my sister Shannon at: ShannonPenniall@hotmail.com.



No comments:
Post a Comment